Sunday, 22 May 2011

#Vidstory is a Channel on Vimeo



The #vidstory project is coming to a close as we reach the end of term.

I am sure that the ripples that drift across the 'cloud' will continue for some time.

Students can share their videos with their peers.

Comments will be left and hopefully positive relationships will develop.

Confidence, identity and self expression will all be nurtured and not stifled.



There are questions about Copyright, I prefer copyleft and Creative Commons who provide free licenses for creative types who want to keep some form of Copyright.

If there are any discrepancies in the videos publish I will rectify them however as I am not making any commercial gain and using the media for educational purposes I find it difficult to position myself with current legislation. Please read this http://bit.ly/iDbgV0 a very useful do's and don'ts list of Copyright.

I have been away from Blogger and Twitter for some time, enjoying life with my 2 beautiful daughters and my wife. When I watch the videos my students make I realise my good fortune to be who I am and where I am in this world. Work-Life balance is always a tricky game to play.

Any comments would be welcome and would also encourage me in my exploration of this topic. It would also be great to get feedback on the #vidstory project or any other aspect of the blog =)

I must thank @web2Literacy for his support and invite you to join myLIFE - migrant young Learners In Formal Education , if you are making videos with young migrants and wish to promote their work to a wider, supportive online community.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mike

    Whilst I haven't had the time recently to read about your project in detail it looks like a great idea.

    Really innovative and fun and an amazing way for your learners to begin to express their voices.

    Especially at a time in ESOL where due to funding cuts that voice is in danger of being stifled!

    I'd be interested in hearing about how you taught your learners the IT skills needed to create videos like this? Or did they already have them?

    Anyway I'd certainly encourage you to keep sharing your experiences as I for one find them both useful and inspiring!

    Thanks :-)

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anna,

    Thanks for your comment!

    I have found this method of learning to produce an impressive and diverse range of videos. Whilst many of the students have studied ICT (AQA or City & Guilds / Functional Skills) I feel that with the right introduction any student could probably become familiar with Windows Movie Maker.

    I hope that other tutors are encouraged to get their students to explore this concept as I feel it has real potential.

    I will be writing a blog post about how I went about introducing the students to the programme soon so please watch this space.

    Getting comments on a post is probably one of the most rewarding parts of blogging so thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike, I will certainly keep a look out for that post and in the mean time will try and find a spare hour or two to play with Windows Movie Maker. You're most welcome re the comment... I wish I had more time to interact on line as there is so much here and on other blogs worth discussing. Looking forward to hearing more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed watching the videos and I hope the project continues next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi i read all your post which is quit interesting and your work of education for migrant is appreciable.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget

Recent Posts

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

My Blog List