Monday, 15 February 2010

Pancake day

The 16th of February is Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday. This is the day that Christian families use up eggs, milk and sugar before the beginning of Lent. Lent is a period of 40 days when Christians fast. This type of fasting is different to Ramadan when Muslim don't eat or drink anything between sunrise and sunset. During Lent people eat simple meals and don't eat dairy products and meat.

It seems like a good opportunity to lose some of the weight gained during the Christmas period of indulgence! Most British people I know don't fast during Lent but some 'give up' something; e.g. chocolate, smoking, sugar in tea.

This evening I'm going to make pancakes for my class which I can microwave tomorrow.

Here are some links to sites with materials that I will use in the class tomorrow -  
http://www.eslholidaylessons.com/02/pancake_day.html
http://www.esolcourses.com/topics/mardi-gras-pancake-tuesday.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget

Recent Posts

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

My Blog List