Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Imperatives

We did a matching exercise with broken imperative sentences and the students had try to match them together. Click here to see and download the matching activity. I made it in PowerPoint  by drawing a table (6x5) the same size as a slide.
Then I made sure that each row and column were the same size so the students would have to read the cards to know which part was the imperative form. You can see the results below:
I underlined the verbs to help my students but you could choose not to, you could also remove the capital letter at the start. If you download the file in Scribd you can also adapt this to suit your classes vocabulary or topic.
I printed this out on green, A4 card (5 times) and then cut it up using a guillotine.

I gave these cards to mymEntry 2 ESOL class - I had a class of 16 so I split then 5 groups.

They matched the pairs in about 10 minutes. I then decided to get them to play pelmanism with the cards.

The students placed all the cards face down and then, taking turns tried to identify a pair by relying on their memories. If a student identified the correct pair the student kept the pair and scored 1 point. They also got another turn. This introduced an element of competitiveness. I overheard students discussing with each other what the missing part of the pair might be, students recalling the initial matching activity. I also noticed that it was an opportunity for the quiet, able, reserved students were able to shine.

The students really enjoyed the activity.

I think the main reason they enjoyed it is because of the fact that I had introduced the class to pelmanism through a number of PowerPoint activities that I have developed where the teacher has control of the cards via a projector and keyboard. (click here to view an example)

Instructions
First download the document by clicking at the top left of this document.
Split your class into 2.
Open the file.
Ask a student for 2 numbers
Click on the first, then press Ctrl and X simultaneously (cut) A picture will appear, under the number.
Cut the second number and another picture will appear.
If they match the students team gets one point and the student get another turn.
If they get it wrong, press Ctrl + Z simultaneously. (undo)
If you make a mistake you can press Ctrl + Y (redo)

Please leave a comment if you like this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget

Recent Posts

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

My Blog List