Thursday, 21 January 2010

Vowel sounds presentation, student worksheet and quiz/spelling test

Follow the link to see a PowerPoint presentation on the 20 vowel sounds in the English language. You can download, edit and use for your own classes or watch it online if you are a student!
Here is a screen shot:


I asked individual students to tell me names of the pictures and then to tell me the number of syllables, the vowel sounds (I explained how these are often linked) and if they knew any other words with a similar sound. I also checked that they realised which vowel the phonetic sound was related to. After the presentation I went through the student worksheet with the class. I got the students to write the word using a black and a red pen - writing the vowel sound with the red pen - e.g. tray
You can see the student worksheet here -

and you can download it for free by clicking this link Student-Sheet-Vowels.

The next class we had a spelling test based on the words on the left hand page. I made it a bit more interesting by creating some questions that you can see below...

and again you can download it for free by click this link - http://www.scribd.com/doc/25554511/vowels-Q1

Please leave a comment if you find this useful or have any ideas on how to make the activities better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget

Recent Posts

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

My Blog List