Thursday, 17 December 2009

Mantras of a Mad Man

Mantras of a Mad Man

I woke up this morning at the usual time but I felt a little strange. Little did I know that this was to be the day that I started my first blog. Even now, as I write, I wonder why on Earth I’m bothering, who would want to read about what’s going on in my dreaded head?


I know this place all to well having spent a large part of my adult life developing my reflective practice and closely examining my professional work with the scrutiny of a Sergeant Major on the parade ground.

I’ve also spent a large part of my free time delving into the world of mantras and meditation and find these two worlds to be mutually beneficial for both my students and my own development.

So what should I record on these pages?

I spent at least five whole minutes thinking of a title; Mantras of a Mad Man seemed to bring together both worlds.

The Mantra of ‘Om Mani Padme Hum!’ is one that not only adorns my left arm but also resonates with my own world view.

Literally translated it means ‘The jewel is in the heart of the lotus’. This may seem a little fluffy, hippy and confusing. If you know me then you’ll know that some would describe me using these exact words!

However, once you know that in Tibetan Buddhism the Lotus flower is a symbol of ‘wisdom’ or ‘potential’ you may begin to see that there is a deeper meaning. I translate this mantra as ‘Realise your potential!’ (or ambition or dream).

Easier said than done but if you have an insight into your dreams or a clear idea of your potential then this mantra has plenty to offer.

We all have wisdom to offer and wisdom to learn so I hope that I can share these pages with that in mind.

First blog finished, that wasn’t so difficult after all…

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget

Recent Posts

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com

My Blog List